We came together to celebrate our milestones and accomplishments in the areas of youth development, healthy living and social responsibility at our Annual Meeting. Last year, we opened our doors to the community more than six million times and more than 230,000 people were affected by our impact.
One of our greatest accomplishments was continuing to expand our presence in the community by starting or completing construction of new Family Centers and expansions of existing Centers. These improvements were only possible through financial contributions and community partnerships. The $6.1 million investment provided: new child development centers, new indoor cycling and aerobics rooms, expanded wellness floors, well-lit parking, infrastructure improvements, new camp pavilion and new locker rooms. The Family Centers renovated were: YMCA Aquatic Center, Downtown Orlando YMCA, Camp Wewa, and Winter Park YMCA. The Osceola County YMCA completed its renovation plan.
Over the past year, some of the Youth Development accomplishments that strive to nurture the potential of every child and teen include:
- More than 20,000 kids participated in swimming lessons or aquatic programs at the Y.
- Celebrated the 20th year of Teen Achievers program that impacts more than 1,000 teens per year.
- Concluded the 10th year of the Middle School Afterschool Zone Partnership with Orange County and Orange County Public Schools, which has provided safe, secure programs for over 100,000 middle school children since its inception.
- Completed the fifth year of YMCA at Walt Disney World Resort Family Care Centers which have impacted more than 7,000 children positively since opening.
- More than 21,900 kids participated in youth sports programs offered by the Y.
- More than 53,000 kids attended summer camp at a local YMCA Family Center.
In 2010, some of the Healthy Living accomplishments that aim to improve Central Florida’s health and well-being include:
- More than 21,075 families used the YMCA daily to improve their health and well-being.
- Celebrated the 10th year of the Winter Park Health Foundation partnership which positively impacts more than 700,000 people each year at the Oviedo and Crosby YMCAs.
- Enjoyed the 10th year of the Orange County Parks and Recreation partnership with the Blanchard Park YMCA which impacts 500 people each day.
Some of the Social Responsibility accomplishments for 2010 in which the Y gives back and provides support to its neighbors in Central Florida include:
- Through its scholarship campaign, volunteers and staff raised more than $4.8 million to help 30,000 families in Central Florida be part of the Y.
- $20 million investment in at-risk communities, providing services and programs to members ranging from newborn age to century seniors.
- Over $8 million of capital raised in the community to expand the impact of the YMCA cause.
- Strengthen communities that need services the most – invested $10.2 million in Outreach Ys to keep their doors open.