Here at the Y we believe we can make a real difference in the lives of people and communities we engage within our country and around the globe. That is why we support Operation Christmas Child, Samaritan’s Purse annual gift-filled shoe box drive intended to improve the lives of many suffering children overseas.
During the week of November 14-21, 2011, our 25 local Y of Central Florida family centers will serve as collection sites for Operation Christmas Child. The gift-filled shoe boxes you donate will be distributed to children around the world that are in severe poverty due to wars and/or natural disasters.
Donating a gift-filled shoe box is simple. Just follow these easy steps:
- Find a plastic shoe box. Please note: a plastic box is best since children can use as a much needed container to carry water to and from their home
- Fill the plastic shoe box with these suggested gifts: school supplies, small toys, toiletries, hard candies, t-shirts, socks, combs, hair clips or any other useful personal item, along with a personal note.
- Take your gift-filled show box to a Y of Central Florida family center nearest you.
- Pick up a “How to pack your shoe box” brochure and cut out the labels provided in the back. Select the gender most appropriate for your gifts and mark the correct age category. Tape the label on your shoe box.
- Place the gift-filled shoe box in the area we have dedicated to Operation Christmas Child in our family centers.
- We will gather gift-filled boxes from now until November 21, 2011.
On Monday, November 21 we will bless the boxes and send them to the processing center. Samaritan’s Purse will ensure shoe boxes are delivered directly into the hands of children in need. So, please join us at our Send-off Event:
□ Date: Monday, November 21st
□ Time: 10 am
□ Location: Downtown Orlando YMCA
Partnering with Samaritan’s Purse enables us to mobilize our local communities to effect lasting, meaningful change in the life of suffering children overseas. For over 160 years, we have been listening and responding to the needs of our communities here and worldwide.
We thank you for taking this opportunity to give back and support neighboring countries in need. At the Y, we value members like you that help advance our social responsibility efforts.
For more information on Operation Christmas Child visit samatitanspurse.org or view this video on How to Pack a Shoe Box with Scotty McCreery.