MISSION ENHANCEMENT A BLUEPRINT FOR A HEALTHY COMMUNITY
The Dr. P. Phillips Y is one of the most unique YMCAs in the country. Its proximity to local elementary, middle and high schools has made it a focal point for family and community life. At the Dr. Phillips Y, you can see all ages engaging in wellness, education, socializing and more every day. The facility has been expanded several times since opening in 1993 and is again bursting at the seams with members and program participants.
As the Dr. Phillips community grows, so do its needs. Today, one in five area youth are obese, setting themselves up for major health challenges as adults. Summer learning loss is affecting all children, especially those who are already struggling with reading skills. High unemployment and underemployment continue to be sources of financial and emotional stress on families in the community. An aging population and growing adult obesity concerns have created a greater demand for preventative and rehabilitative wellness programs such as diabetes prevention and cardiac recovery.
To meet the growing needs of our community and to address these concerns, we’ve identified the following critical projects as part of our mission enhancement:
– Remodel and expand the Wellness Center; add a new and larger Spin Room and two racquetball courts … in order to meet the community’s demand for health and wellness activities.
– Partner with Orlando Health to add physical therapy and consultation spaces … in order to provide a smooth transition for patients recovering from illness or injury.
– Add indoor/outdoor social areas, including a new lobby … in order to create intentional spaces for people to gather and connect.
– Add a Playground … in order to encourage healthy activity in a fun way for youth and preschool students.
– Enhance Locker Rooms … in order to create accessible, pleasant accommodations for all ages.
– Create a Tween/Technology Center … in order to provide a safe place for young people to learn and practice becoming more independent.
Please check out our Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/DrPhillipsYmca) and check for emails regarding updates regarding mission enhancement. Our mission is to fill community gaps that inhibit the Dr. Phillips community and to create healthy living, youth development and social responsibility opportunities that will enable all residents to thrive with a quality of life that will last for generations.