Now that school is back in session and schedules have been set, we would like to provide a few back-to-school tips to help your child be successful this school year. It’s been proven that children are more likely to succeed academically when parents take an active role in their education. And here are some simple tips to help you achieve that:
- Make sure your child gets proper rest in order to improve their alertness and attentiveness throughout the school day.
- Maintain good communication with your child’s teacher. Get involved in activities that support the school, staff and building healthy relationships for giving and receiving feedback.
- Provide healthy meals and snacks. Good good nutrition is essential to helping your child thrive in every aspect of life.
- Schedule regular doctors’ visits to ensure that your child is in good physical health. That includes eye exams to detect visual problems.
- Prepare an area within your home where your child can focus on homework with minimal distractions, yet have access to you for help and questions.
- Show active interest and provide praise for your child’s work.
- Take time to read together for at least 20 minutes a day. This provides time for you and your child to connect while fostering important literacy skills.
At the Y, we’re committed to helping children and families thrive. It’s all about empowering our community for good. That’s why we strive every day to nurture our youth, strengthen families and help every person reach their healthiest best.