Few things make us feel as good about ourselves as when we take the time to help someone else. At the Y, we see the sense of satisfaction in our volunteers every day. One way that everyone can give back is with Operation Christmas Child.
The Y of Central Florida has participated in Operation Christmas Child before, and this year we are challenging our communities and partners to help us collect 40,000 shoe boxes for boys and girls in need around the world.
Make it a special Christmas not only for others, but for yourself. This is a simple project that can bring families and communities together while teaching kids the importance of being generous to those who have little. Boxes can be filled with school supplies, hygiene items, and/or small toys. These items are priceless for kids without necessities, so soap or barrettes can make a huge impact.
During October 7 – November 21, 2013, bring your Operation Christmas Child gifts to one of our 25 local Y of Central Florida family centers. The gift-filled shoe boxes you donate will be distributed to children around the world that are in severe poverty due to wars and/or natural disasters.
Donating a gift-filled shoe box is easy. Just follow these 5 steps:
- Find a plastic shoe box. Please note: a plastic box is best since children can use as a much needed container to carry water to and from their home
- Fill the plastic shoe box with these suggested gifts: school supplies, small toys, toiletries, hard candies, t-shirts, socks, combs, hair clips or any other useful personal item, along with a personal note.
- Take your gift-filled shoe box to a Y of Central Florida family center nearest you.
- Pick up a “How to pack your shoe box” brochure and cut out the labels provided in the back. Select the gender most appropriate for your gifts and mark the correct age category. Tape the label on your shoe box.
- Place the gift-filled shoe box in the area we have dedicated to Operation Christmas Child in our family centers.
On November 17 we will bless the boxes and send them to the official drop off location in Orlando. Samaritan’s Purse will ensure shoe boxes are delivered directly into the hands of children in need.
Here at the Y we are building a Global Center for Excellence and believe we can make a real difference in the lives of people and communities we engage within our country and around the globe. That is why we support Operation Christmas Child, Samaritan’s Purse annual gift-filled shoe box drive intended to improve the lives of many suffering children overseas. For over 160 years, we have been listening and responding to the needs of our communities here and worldwide.
We thank you for taking this opportunity to give back and support neighboring countries in need. At the Y, we value members like you that help advance our social responsibility efforts.
For more information on Operation Christmas Child visit samatitanspurse.org and view this video.